Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Santa Hat

I couldn't decide who looked cuter in the Handknit Holidays Santa hat, so here are both pics. You decide. But be quick about it - before hubby notices and makes me remove his picture.

I modified the hat because my cream alpaca was stash yarn and significantly thinner than the bulky called for in the pattern.

I did a provisional cast on and knit the red part of the hat as directed using Knit Picks Decadence in Winter Berry. LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVE that yarn. After trying the bobble brim as directed using first a single strand, then two strands together, and finally three strands together and still not liking the finished look, I tried a different approach.

This time I picked up the stitches and knit a ribbed band in red, then I followed Nicole's advice from the Handknit Holidays-along blog for the elongated bobbles (making sure the right side was facing out after folding the bobble band over the ribbing). Finally I crocheted a chain around the join of the red and white to hide the red that was peeking through.

Not perfect but still pretty fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

How many Schlitz Tall Boys did you have to pump into Hubby before he agreed to wear that swell hat?

Jennifer said...

Heh. Skipped the tall boys and went straight for the boilo (ouch). Sounds like you may need a matching hat next Christmas...